Fork me on GitHub
#vim
<
2021-07-27
>
grazfather13:07:56

I coincidentally use #babashka to setup my dotfiles

Proctor13:07:02

it is getting tempting…

Proctor13:07:52

slowly moving things from my .vimrc to init.lua… but since it is still early part of me is thinking go full fennel… 😉

dave14:07:28

I've also been tempted to start porting my vimrc to Fennel. I have a really big vimrc, though. Part of me thinks I could do it incrementally, but I don't know if I really want to live in a half-in, half-out world for the months/years it would take me before I could port the whole thing. 😑

berkeleytrue15:07:41

I second skipping the lua step. Also, you don't need to port the whole thing over. Just start with new stuff in fennel

nbardiuk15:07:40

Using fennel you get autogenerated lua for free 😁

NoahTheDuke15:07:32

@grazfather your helper functions in macros.fnl are so good i might switch to nvim now

grazfather15:07:50

Thank you! I was inspired by this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/neovim/comments/op39lf/showcase_of_idiomatic_configuration_using_fennel/ but i wrote my own because I wanted variadic macros so that I could more nicely group them

dominicm15:07:40

I'm on the fence about this lua stuff. Vim is horrible to parse but it's a custom dsl just for vim configs. That's quite handy!

dominicm15:07:53

I'm just lazy and don't want to do any string escaping in lua 😄

grazfather15:07:54

I had to do some but with my macros you don’t have to, at least for most bindings

grazfather15:07:09

since in lisp >.+* etc are legal in symbol names

grazfather15:07:30

so (set! <leader>ef ":something") instead of `

grazfather15:07:48

vim.crap.set("<leader>ef", ":something")

berkeleytrue15:07:54

lua string escaping < vim array parsing

grazfather15:07:13

and writing functions in fennel >> writing functions in viml

walterl20:07:53

I'm considering porting the VimL functions and other complex code to Fennel, but keep basic config (`*map`, set, let) in VimL

grazfather21:07:17

That’s a reasonable first step

grazfather21:07:39

I did it in one fell swoop and it took > 4 hours but that included the time it took me to write the macros